Cleveland Botanical Garden Employment
Green Corps Assistant Site Manager
Hiring: Recruiting/hiring process begins January 2014
Date of Position: March 15 through October, 40 hours/week
This seasonal full-time position requires a high-energy, flexible individual who will be an integral member of the Green Corps team. This Garden ambassador will assist with the day-to-day operation of a Cleveland Botanical Garden Learning Farm including planting, maintenance and harvesting, and the overall education and management of student employees.
- Assist with daily field operations, supervising student activities and leading the youth crew in the performance of general farm maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, planting; pruning; watering; weeding; mulching; fertilizing.
- Assist site manager with building and maintaining positive relationships with each Green Corps student.
- Build and maintain a healthy, safe, and supportive work and learning environment within the Green Corps Learning Farm.
- Reinforce weekly curriculum and ensure students meet work requirements.
- Communicate positively and effectively with students’ parents and Learning Farm neighbors and community members.
- Under supervision of Green Corps Farm Manager, assist with the management of the day-to-day operation of a Learning Farm site, involving general garden maintenance tasks such as, but not limited to, planting, pruning, watering, weeding, mulching and fertilizing.
- Participate in production and marketing of Ripe from Downtown™ products.
- Lead volunteer groups, tours, and community programming in the Learning Farm.
- Assist with planning and carrying out Learning Farm Open House, other CBG events, and Green Corps’ farmer’s market stand.
- Provide feedback to improve and grow the Green Corps program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must be at least 21 years old
- Obtainment or work toward an Associate or Bachelor degree in education, child-youth development, agriculture or a related area is preferred and/or relevant experience or background required
- Experience working with youth is highly desirable
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communications skills in a positive, team-player environment is essential
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on the Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions
This position may be tailored to meet college internship or credit requirements. Extensive staff training provided on teaching skills and gardening/agriculture. Cleveland Botanical Garden offers a competitive compensation & benefit package and a dynamic work environment. Cleveland Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. The Garden seeks skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and 3 references to:
Human Resource Manager
Cleveland Botanical Garden
11030 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
No phone calls, please.