GREEN CORPS ASSISTANT
We will begin the recruiting/hiring process for this position in March 2013.
Date of Position: May through October, 40 hours per week
This seasonal internship requires a high-energy individual who will be an integral member of the Green Corps team. Responsibilities include the daily programming and supervision of Green Corps youth, their farm work instruction, youth development, student mentoring and supportive team building.
- Assist with daily field operations, supervising student activities and leading the youth in the performance of general farm maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, planting; pruning; watering; weeding; mulching; fertilizing.
- In coordination with Learning Farm Site Manager, teach curriculum, evaluate student performance, and create positive relationships and group dynamics with students.
- Participate in production and marketing of Ripe from Downtown® products.
- Under direction of the Learning Farm Site Manager, lead volunteer groups, tours, and community programming in the Learning Farm.
- Assist with planning and carrying out Learning Farm Open House, other CBG events, and Green Corps’ farmer’s market stands.
- Assist with maintenance of basic Learning Farm records including student files, gardening records, harvest and market tracking, and volunteer statistics.
- Oversee farm operations and youth schedule when needed
- Provide feedback to Cleveland Botanical Gardens on ways to improve and grow the Green Corps program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates at least 21 years old – experience in horticulture, education, child-youth development, agriculture or a related area is preferred. Experience working with youth is highly desirable. The ability to work in collaborative relationships with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communication and leadership skills are essential. Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on the Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
Extensive staff training provided on teaching skills and gardening/agriculture.
Cleveland Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. The Garden seeks skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens.
To apply, send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Human Resource Manager Cleveland Botanical Garden 11030 East Boulevard Cleveland, OH 44106 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
About Green Corps
Cleveland Botanical Garden Green Corps is a seasonal work-study program for high school students in Cleveland. Students work as a team to maintain Learning Farms, sell produce at farmers markets and on-site farm stands, and make Ripe From Downtown™ salsa. Throughout the season, students follow a curriculum based on life and works skills, agriculture, community and environmental stewardship, and sustainability. As part of this dynamic program, students work together to make their own lives and their own communities better.