Internship opportunities at the Garden
Horticulture Internship at Cleveland Botanical Garden
To expose intern to the many facets of an urban public horticultural institution, primarily in garden and glasshouse management.
Work with Horticulturists, glasshouse staff, and Curator of Collections
Cleveland Botanical Garden – Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Accomplish daily hands-on, horticulturally-related jobs as well as long-term group projects
- Assist with care of gardens and glasshouses, including duties such as, but not limited to watering, pruning, planting, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, mowing, propagating, and pest control.
- Conduct research for a season long project, culminating with a public presentation.
- Gain experience in working with annuals & perennials, woody plants, herbs, wildflowers, aquatic plants, interior plants, turf, tropical & desert plants, and container plantings.
- Learn and practice sustainable horticulture practices including Integrated Pest Management, organic fertilizers, etc.
- Field trips to public and commercial horticulture facilities.
- College internship credit with sponsoring school.
- Independent research project with a mentor.
- Attend Garden classes and programs for free.
- Completion of two years of college (horticulture, botany or related field) or technical program is preferred.
- Proven genuine interest in plants, coupled with a desire to learn.
- Experience in the field of horticulture is preferred.
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Driving record is also screened.
Dates of Position
May/June through August/September (minimum three month commitment). Five days per week with weekend work, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Generally 40 hours per week.
Intern is responsible for obtaining housing and transportation.
Cleveland Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. The Garden seeks skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens.
Send a statement of interest, current resume, unofficial transcripts and three references to the attention of Human Resources, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio, USA 44106 or send email applications with attachments labeled as your full name to: Internships@cbgarden.org. Applications are reviewed after March 1st. Please note: positions are highly competitive. For full consideration, be sure to enclose all of the aforementioned required documents – incomplete applications will not be reviewed.